Southside Building, 31 Hurst Street,
Birmingham, B5 4BD
We are looking for an Aspiring Second Chef who’s passionate about food and wants to make a difference.
A Welcome Bonus of £2000 is offered with this postion.
50% paid when you start the post with us
50% paid once probation has been completed
The second Chef is responsible for assisting the Head Chef in the day to day running and management of the kitchen. To ensure all meals provided are to the highest culinary and hygienic standard within agreed budgets. To work closely with the clinical team ensuring that inter-departmental communications are regular and effective.
You’ll be working 37.5 hours a week at Cygnet Stevenage Hospital, creating an excellent experience for the people in our care.
Cygnet Hospital Stevenage offers a range of secure and PICU and acute mental health services for men and women in a purpose-built therapeutic environment where the focus is on maximising positive outcomes and recovery. A range of therapies supports the care pathway towards independent living.
At Cygnet, our perks go way beyond pension schemes and excellent professional development.
You’ll also enjoy shopping, travel and leisure discounts – as well as a range of healthcare and financial benefits – to support you to be happy both in and out of work.
With us, you’ll have the chance to progress your career in a vibrant, supportive culture tailored to help you thrive.
Apply now to enjoy excellent career prospects while being part of an organisation that cares about helping people.
- To be responsible for overseeing all operational aspects of the Kitchen and staff in the absence of the Head Chef
- Complete opening and closing procedures for the Kitchen
- Direct staff as required to ensure all operational tasks are completed safely and efficiently as/when required
- To have a hands-on approach for all Kitchen staff and to get involved in many aspects i.e. cleaning duties etc
- To support and communicate regularly and effectively with the Head Chef and to ensure all issues are acknowledged and discussed during their absence.
- To use the Kitchen Communication Book / Diary as a tool in effectively recording and tracking issues
- To be responsible for ensuring all kitchen staff are preparing and presenting quality food and all final products leaving the kitchen are at the Company Standard
- To report any issues with food quality and freshness to the Head Chef
- To ensure all kitchen staff follow correct food and hygiene standards
- To follow the Stock Labelling and Rotation System to ensure the products are identifiable and used in the correct order
- To lead by example for staff ensuring that the kitchen is always presentable
- To ensure cleaning checklists are adhered to by Chefs and Kitchen Assistants and directing staff to cleaning duties when required – especially during quiet times
- To communicate any issues with the Kitchen’s presentation with the Head Chef and / or Manager on Duty
- To ensure all Kitchen Staff use all Chemicals correctly
- To lead by example.
- To help establish the Kitchen area as a positive work environment for all
- In the absence of the HC to deal with staff issues that may arise on a day-to-day basis in the kitchen and to communicate these to the HC on their return
- To ensure that all ongoing training for all kitchen staff is discussed with the HC
- To work closely with the HC to ensure the Kitchen is fully staffed and to plan for periods of absence or for leavers
- To manage in liaison with the HC the Induction and ongoing training for all new Kitchen Assistants
- To communicate with the Head Chef on a regular basis regarding all stock levels
- To keep stock usage, wastage, loss and breakages in the kitchen to a minimum level and to record accordingly
- To check quality of stock for freshness, weight, use by dates etc and communicate issues to Head Chef
- A skilled Aspiring Second Chef who can work under pressure
- Preferably experienced in the care sector
- Able to plan nourishing & attractive menus within available budgets
- The holder of a food hygiene certificate, with good personal hygiene standards
- Polite & professional, with a positive attitude to internal & external quests at all times
- An excellent communicator able to liaise with people at all levels
- Able to work under your own initiative, as part of a team & under supervision
- Qualified in catering to City & Guilds 706: 1 & 2 level or NVQ Level 2/3
Why Cygnet? We’ll offer you…
- Strong career progression opportunities
- Expert supervision & support
- Employee referral scheme
- Pension scheme
- “Cycle to work” scheme & employee discount saving
Successful candidates will be required to undergo an enhanced DBS check.
Cygnet has been providing a national network of high-quality specialist mental health services for more than 30 years. In this role you’ll have the chance to make a real impact on patients, service users & their families.